I’m a productive writer and editor with extensive experience covering healthcare, technology, graphic arts, and geek culture. I’m currently available for freelance writing and editing assignments, as well as web and print production work.
Recent freelance clients include Dark Daily, MakeUseOf, and The Streamable.
Career highlights include:
- Founder and editor of The Steampunk Explorer, a popular website for steampunk fans.
- Longtime freelance contributor to HOW Magazine, focusing primarily on software applications for graphic designers. The publication is no longer in business, but my stories are viewable in the Wayback Machine.
- Founding editor of Bulldog Reporter’s Inside Health Media, a subscription publication for public relations professionals in health and medicine.
- Former “Deskside” columnist for the Daily Dog, a website for PR professionals. Many of my columns are archived on the Agility PR Solutions website.
- Former news and reviews editor of Macworld.
- Played a key role in the launch of five publications, including Veterinary Computing, Micro Publishing News, and Digital Imaging.
- Author of Graphic Design to Beat the Clock (Rotovision, 2013); Photo Manipulation: Fast Solutions for Hands-On Web Design (Rockport Publishers, 2002); and Plug-In Power (Micro Publishing Press, 1996). Co-author of GATF Guide to Desktop Publishing (Graphic Arts Technical Foundation, 1995); Linotronic Imaging Handbook (Micro Publishing Press, 1991), and The Scanner Book (Micro Publishing Press, 1989).
I’m a member of the Association of Health Care Journalists, and have attended six of the organization’s annual conferences. I’m also a recipient of the Newsletter Association’s Journalism Award. I have experience working with a wide range of design and publishing tools, including Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, InDesign, Acrobat, Drupal, and WordPress. I’ve developed numerous websites, including this one.
Born and raised in Philadelphia, I currently reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.